a g Jason's Jargon: He Never Said It Would Be Easy

Monday, September 11, 2006

He Never Said It Would Be Easy

For those of you who are in the ministry this post is for you.

When you announced your call to the ministry, what were you thinking? Did you think that it would be easy?

Honestly, I really didn't know what to expect. I had never been around pastors all that much, as a matter of fact, the only thought I had concerning pastors was that they were perfect (Man, was I wrong). I didn't have a set view of what pastors did or didn't do. Many pastors have joked that they knew they were called to preach when they woke up one morning feeling lazy and craving fried chicken. Well, that was not exactly how I knew I was called to preach.

In 1992, I rededicated my life to Jesus Christ. For the first time in my adult life I was truly serious about the Lord. I had been saved for over seven years, but had a touch and go commitment to the Lord. I would serve the Lord for a season, and then, I would soon be doing my own thing. Looking back on life I realize that there is nothing I can do about my past but thank God that He was gracious and that He taught me some important lessons so that I would be able to help others in their walk for the Lord.

After the new year began (1993) I began getting involved in my church. I started visiting people in the hospitals, nursing homes, shut-ins, and future prospects of the church. My pastor had me working. I thank God for the experience, and the opportunity to work for the Lord.

This period of time was a difficult one for me. I had recently stopped attending Wright State University, had failed a written test to work for Southern Ohio Steel, and was working 4o hours a week at McDonalds. So, as you can see I was a little stressed, but my love for the Lord continued to grow, and the more I grew, the greater desire I had to serve the Lord in full time ministry. So, on January 31, 1993, I finally announced my call to the ministry. Since that day, I have never looked back. I have never regretted answering the call to serve the Lord full time.

It is my prayer for those of us in the ministry to remember Who we serve. Ultimately, our service is to Christ. It is Christ who pays the bills. It is Christ who enables us to be who we need to be. And, it is Christ who gives the increase. I continue to remind myself of this truth on a regular basis. If I didn't remind myself of this truth, I think I would go crazy. Planting a church is tough. There are many mountain top experiences, but there are still the valleys. The valleys remind us to get on our knees and beg God to give the increase in our churches. If you are in a ministry slump, it is my prayer that you hit your knees and ask God to revive you again. Remember, He never said it would be easy. Most importantly, remember, the Lord loves you. God Bless!!!

4 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Aaron Johnson said...

Thanks bro, I needed to be reminded that God never said it would be easy, but did say it was possible. I appreciate you and all the advice and encouragement I recieve from you. (You left your sleeping bag in my Jeep. How bad do you need it?)

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Tommy Estes said...

Thanks for the blogg. When I gave my life to the ministry, I thought I'd be at the golf course everyday. Now my wife beggs me to take a day off! Thanks for the hard work you do for the Lord!

"T"

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Sheff said...

Fellas, Thanks for doing what you do for the Lord. Keep up the great work.

Pastor Coe, I've missed seeing you at Panera. I hope you have a great time in Florida.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Sheff said...

Bishop Coe, Sorry for deleting your post, I must have hit the wrong comment. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home